Teaching Students to Navigate Life
The Vanguard Preparatory School serves children and families who, for different, often complex reasons, are not well served by traditional public and private schools. Vanguard provides an environment where students can excel to the full extent of their capabilities. Excel might mean achieving academic honors and going on to college with a full scholarship or it might mean the freedom to live independently and pursue meaningful work. Vanguard is unique in our ability to integrate academic learning with social-emotional learning. We have been doing both―and doing both well—for a long time. Vanguard is celebrating our 30th Anniversary this year!
Vanguard’s approach to education is inspired by several foundational beliefs:
- We believe that social-emotional learning sets the stage for academic learning and success in other areas.
- We believe that children who are intellectually engaged in learning are closer to developing behavior that will positively affect their future path.
- We believe that what children learn in school should be reinforced at home, which is why Vanguard provides diverse educational opportunities for parents.
- And finally, we believe in the power of difference. Vanguard is a place where very different students learn to accept and help one another, developing a mindset that will benefit them throughout their lives.
Vanguard in many ways is what all schools should be. We help kids excel not only academically but also socially, emotionally and in all the skills required to navigate life.
- Lower school teacher to student ratio: 1:5
- Middle and high school teacher to student ratio: 1:10
- Teaching staff: 18
- Mental health professionals: 8
- Vanguard professionals average years of experience: 15
- Vanguard professionals average tenure: 8
- Therapeutic results: Evidenced-based social and emotional progress reports for each student
Vanguard is blessed to have advantages that many other public and private schools do not with regard to COVID-19. These include:
- Large classrooms
- Many exterior doors that allow for social distancing when entering/exiting the building and changing classes
- Bathrooms and water in each of the school areas to avoid cross-contamination
- Designated school areas (Lower, Middle, and High Schools)
- Maximum of 120 students on campus
We serve students and families from across the DFW metroplex!